Shaikh Mohammad's latest book: 50 stories in 50 years

Chapter 35. Dubai the Destination
I was only 10 years old when I realised Dubai’s potential to be a big city for investors and tourists.

It was a strong feeling I had when I stood for the first time, amazed in the middle of London’s Heathrow Airport.

Years passed. Dubai built its own airport. My life was devoted to the political and military aspects of building the Union.

But inside me, I remained convinced Dubai had to become a destination.

I couldn’t forget that encounter when by father asked the British Overseas Airways Corporation, during the opening of the Dubai Airport, to start a flight between Dubai and Mumbai (or Bombay, as it was known in those days).

The company refused. Their reason: There was no demand for seats on this route.

My father replied: Connect Dubai and Mumbai and leave the selling of those seats to me. Then the number of airlines and flights increased from that day, till it reached 15 airlines, connecting us to 42 destinations in the Middle East and Europe.

In the beginning of the 1980s, we heard about Shannon International Airport in Ireland that built a duty-free facility. We called them to build ours, which opened after six months.

Today, Dubai Duty Free is one of the world’s largest. Its sales account for 51 per cent of the global duty-free sales and serves 90 million travelers yearly.

In 2014, British newspapers bannered on their front pages: “Dubai Airport surpasses Heathrow as the biggest airport in the world, in international passengers.”

I read the news. And remembered the day I stood amazed, back when I was only 10 years old, 50 years ago, the first time I landed at Heathrow. And I said to myself: “Glory to God, Glory to God.”

Chapter 36. Cooperation
On the sidelines of one of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) meetings at the beginning of the 1980s, while all ministers were discussing challenges, prices and many other political matters, I was still in my mid-30s.

I was the youngest around the table. And the most bored. From all the never-ending political talk.

I told them: “Why don’t we develop different industries, and make Dubai the centre of the tourism industry in the region?”

All eyes looked were glued to me in complete silence. Then one of the old foreign ministers laughed.

“What will tourists find in Dubai?” he asked. “Who will come to your desert? Who will come to the heat and humidity of Dubai?“

Everybody else laughed.

Then he added: “Shaikh Mohammad, what are the cultural landmarks that tourists would visit? The desert behind them, the sea in front of them, and the sun above them?”

I didn’t want to argue.

I felt sad. We don’t use our resources more efficiently. We do not trust our youth. We never try something different.

I only wished that cooperation took place at other levels, rather than simply on political and military matters.

I thought that our operating systems, be it in the Gulf or the Arab region, needed to be restructured and attuned to new ways of doing things.

I always wondered: What if these structures were governed by men of development, business leaders? What if it they were led by service-oriented people, whose main goal is to develop services and infrastructure for our people? Maybe it’s time for businessmen and investors to govern this “cooperation”, instead of foreign ministers. Maybe. Why not?

I kept that comment of my friend, the foreign minister, in mind.

One day in Dubai during this period, in the month of August, I saw a European family walking on the beach at mid-day. I offered them water, then asked: “Do you work in Dubai?”

They answered: “We are German tourists.”

Here, my convictions were validated. My belief that we have a resource called the sun — and the desert, and safety, and the nice hotels and quality service. These needed to be used, promoted.

Many friends used to asked me: “For whom are you building all these? You don’t have a large number of tourists?”

I would answer: “We build, they will come.”

Today, the Dubai tourism industry revenues make account for one-third of the tourism industry in the Middle East, reaching $77 billion in 2017.

Chapter 37. A Dubai airline
The principles of ruling Dubai are based on openness to the world.

Justice for all. The rule of law. Healthy competition. Opening the way for everybody to work, invent and invest.

Any investor has the right to compete with anyone else — even if the “other” is the Ruler.

These are the principles of stability that have proven to work for generations.

In 1983, a dispute had occurred between Gulf Air and Pakistan International Airlines over landing rights.

Gulf Air asked me to stop the Dubai’s “Open Skies” policy — or they would withdraw from our airport. It meant losing 70 per cent of our airport’s traffic.

I hate conflicts. It is neither smart nor a civil way to solve problems.

But if the other party doesn’t want to be civil, then one must act firmly.

I called the CEO of Dnata (Dubai National Air Travel Association), Maurice Flanagan in 1984 to my office for his advice on a dream I’ve always had: the establishment of an airline based in Dubai.

A private airline, not a public entity, contrary to the set up in all the Arab countries.

A company that abides by private-sector rules and regulations. A company that has utter financial independence.

The feasibility study came from Maurice in favour of the project.

I asked the team: How much would it cost to launch an airline?

They said: $10 million.

My answer: OK, but I won’t pay a dime after that.

The team then came to me as we getting ready to launch and asked: “Can we get protection against competition?”

My answer was clear: “No. The ‘Open Skies’ policy applies to you as well as to everyone else.”

I asked Shaikh Ahmad Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, who is younger than me by a few years and had just graduated from the US, to be the CEO of the new airline.

We started with two planes leased from Pakistan International Airlines.

Today, Emirates airline has earned numerous awards as the world’s best airline, and has a history of continuous revenue growth for 30 years.


In 2018, the group’s revenues reached $28 billion. It has more than 260 aircraft, flies more than 60 million passengers annually, and employs more than 100,000 people.

Chapter 1: From there we started and here we have arrived

The date is December 26, 2017. It's 11am and I haven't had my breakfast as I was busy launching a new project. I am used to launching many projects, yet this time, it is a different one. It will break barriers before us. I love breaking barriers for my people. We humans move because of inspirations and ambitions. Therefore, I was keen on launching the project in an inspiring manner.

We worked on the project for many years. I ensured that all international agreements were in place and that the team was prepared to launch experiments as soon as possible. I also made sure that the project carried the message I wanted to deliver: Nothing is impossible for the UAE.

I announced the project through social media to over 15 million followers of mine. We wanted to send four Emiratis to space. To complete the biggest Arabic and Islamic project of its kind that will, along with other projects, mark an integrated Emirati space system -- Journey to Mars, Emirati astronauts, first city on earth that simulates Mars' weather conditions, first integrated industrial park for manufacturing satellites, a space centre and a federal agency to regulate the sector.

Immediately after the launch, I saw a few reactions on social media, especially from the youth. They were feeling proud and happy. It was a happy surprise for everyone as we were celebrating our National Day. As I was reading the youth's enthusiastic comments, I said: "This is a new destination we have reached, a new level we have topped and we will never stop."

I don't know what made me think about our simple, beautiful beginnings. The house of my grandfather Sheikh Saeed in Shindagha, the walls made of mud bricks interspersed with coral stones that allow the breeze through, the low ceiling rooms, the yard where we used to play in front of the house, my parents' room, and the rooms of my brothers and sisters.

I remembered my grandfather Sheikh Saeed, his white beard and bright face, his goodness and great belief. I felt that he had worked towards this moment, too, and helped create it. He expanded trade prospects in Dubai, opened the door for everyone... the population doubled three times during his reign.

Yet, his greatest achievement was his reputation, his relationship with the people. He loved them and they loved him.

It is said that he used to wake up before the dawn prayer, walk to the water well far away and bring water back to the mosque so that people could perform ablution. What a person you were, grandfather, what power and goodness and mercy you had!

My grandfather ruled with mercy and love. Mercy and love cannot be forgotten, and days cannot erase them.

I recall his last day. I was almost 9 years old. He passed away moments after the dawn prayer. My father was besides him.

I remember the grief of the women, men crying, the flags at half mast, and the large crowds who bid farewell at his final resting place.
You taught us how to serve the people, Bou Rashid!

A valuable lesson Sheikh Mohammed learnt when he was just 11

In this chapter, titled 'A visit to king of kings', His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, recalls his first foreign visit with his father to Iran when he was just 11 years old. He witnessed two very different scenes, which taught him a lesson he never forgot.

"I was 11 years old. I never did understand the illusion leaders planted in the souls of their people that they were of a higher class and chosen by blood. They drifted away from their people, until they were ousted.

"In 1971, I attended a royal ceremony the 'king of kings' had organised to celebrate the 2,500-year anniversary of the Persian Empire. It cost approximately $100 million, which was a big amount back then. This celebration taught me an unforgettable lesson: The difference between the way the Shah of Iran ruled his country, and the way we rule in Dubai and the UAE.

"On my way to the ceremony, I passed by many poor Iranian villages that did not even have access to electricity. Two opposing images, yet they were from the same place.

"I saw my father starting his day with a tour along with his people and how he himself followed up on projects' implementations with engineers and workers. "I saw him  receiving the public in his meetings and his council, and how he always had lunch with his guests.

Eight years after the royal celebration, the 'king of kings' fell, following demonstrations that turned into a revolution.